Grape and Raisin Toxicity

Although very tasty to us, grapes and raisins can be deadly to our beloved dogs. The exact toxic substance in grapes and raisins has yet to be identified and it is not known exactly how much is considered toxic. What we do know is that it takes very little, only a few grapes or raisins can cause serious side effects or become fatal in some dogs.

Ingesting these foods can cause serious complications very quickly; one of the most serious is sudden kidney failure and lack of urine production. Not all dogs experience kidney failure after ingestion, and it is unclear why some dogs do. Studies are ongoing to determine why some dogs are affected more than others. If you feel your dog has ingested either of these foods, it is essential to seek medical attention immediately.

The following are symptoms of raisin and grape toxicity:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Inability to urinate or passing less urine

If you feel your dog has ingested any amount of raisins or grapes, do not wait for the symptoms of toxicity before seeking medical attention for your dog. Seek help immediately!

Similar to grapes and raisins, other toxic foods include chocolate, onions, and garlic to name a few. Always check ingredients prior to offering your dog table food, if you are not sure then it’s best to avoid offering the food and stick to treats made specifically for dogs.

Leave a Reply